The Passion for Writing
In 2014, I declared that I will bite the self-publishing bullet and publish at least one of my manuscripts each month.
However, I did not publish not one self-published ebook or paperback in 2014, because I was dealing with an illness that would have me in surgery by year’s end. But, in my recovery bed, come January morning, I remember my passion for writing, executed my commitment and I have since made good on that promise, every month of that year.
Books by Author Denise N. Fyffe
- February 2015 – Recount Jamaica
- March 2015 – Sophie’s Place: Examining Career Development for the Disabled
- March 2015 – Learning Management System Efficiency vs. Staff Proficiency
- April 2015 – The Philosophy of Education and Work
- May 2015 – Be Lifted Up
- May 2015 – Examining Career Development in Jamaica and Australia
- May 2015 – The Island Journal (2nd Ed.)
- June 2015 – Thieves in the Workplace
- July 2015 – 101 Jamaican Love Poems
- August 2015 – Empowering the 21st Century Worker
- August 2015 – A Heart Staged in Pain, Anger and Denial,
- August 2015 – A Heart Staged in Depression,
- August 2015 – A Heart Staged in Acceptance
- August 2015 – Is the Registry Happy
- October 2015 – A Heart Staged in Grief (The complete book)
Where do you find time to write so many books?
I had a ready answer.
Remember that quote, about there being 24 hours in the day, the same 24 hours that you have, so too did Picasso, Albert Einstein and many of the greats? But what did they do with their seconds, minutes, hours and days? What are you doing with your seconds, minutes, hours and days?
So, it is simple to answer the question, I make the time.
The Discipline of Writing
I am always writing, editing or proofreading; along with working 9 hours a day and attending school 4 evenings a week for 3 hours. Not to mention the hecticity of teaching practice for 4 mornings at 7 a.m. and one session on Sunday evenings for 3 hours.
(I am so glad that is over).
It requires being organized, proactive and focused. My phone has seen many poems for my books, chapter sections for my books and articles for my blogs. My mind is tightly and finely attuned to every experience I face on a day to day basis and how I would incorporate that into a self-published book.
The biggest ace that I have got on my side is God. I am obedient to His will, His leading and His way.
I don’t watch TV so I stream my shows online. This summer, I am on a TV show fast. They are forbidden for Summer 2015; as such, I have a lot of time on my hands, more than ever. And remember, if I don’t watch TV, that means I am not engaged in a mindless activity for hours on end.
Those would be wasted hours for me because I could be drafting a new book, editing a complete manuscript or getting it ready to self publish on:
- Kindle self-publishing website
- Lulu.com self-publishing website
- Createspace self-publishing website
- Smashwords self-publishing (they have a tedious and discouraging process, recommended for the tech savvy)
This summer, I also got many book ideas. Numerous!
Sometimes, I wonder when will I be publishing those manuscripts. Those I already have and those not yet written, but God is the author and finisher of all things. I have nearly 20 manuscripts waiting to be published and just as many book ideas, if not book covers of books not yet written.
So, if you are interested in following up your passion for writing; all else must come second, except God of course.
10 Tips for Maintaining the Discipline of Writing:
So, here are several tips on ‘How to Keep Writing.‘
- Write, every day.
- Write about what interests you. Your passion will motivate you.
- Start with a few hundred words a day.
- Launch a blog. This will motivate you to maintain a schedule of writing and posting.
- Research and read materials to better your craft.
- Share your writing with friends and family. Listen to feedback.
- Participate in writing competitions.
- Share your pieces with local newspapers.
- Review or revisit pieces that you have done and improve them.
- Read other writers work in your genre who are successful.
My books can be found at a number of online websites, including:
For more of Poetess Denise N. Fyffe blogs and articles visit:
- The Island Journal
- Revealing The Christian Life
- Facebook Page – Defy Poetry
- Jamaica Gleaner
- Team Jamaica
- WithEaseCatalogue / WE
Check out her book How to Keep Writing
This book shares key practical strategies on how to become an author and a working writer. It helps you to get over the everyday nuisances that hinder the writing process. You can follow each strategy, at your own pace until you are writing often. It is geared towards both aspiring fiction and nonfiction authors and working writers who produce content, on a daily basis.
Follow her on:
Copyright © 2019, Denise N. Fyffe